Bernt Notke's 'Dance of Death', the remaining fragment of which is on display in St Anthony's chapel in St Nicholas' church in Tallinn, is one of the most famous artworks in the world. It was painted in the late 15th century as a copy by the same artist of his painting in the Church of St Mary in Lubeck, which was destroyed in a fire in 1942.
More than 500 years old, the painting depicts the world as seen through medieval eyes, but it remains topical even today. Originally up to 30 metres long, only the first part of the work - one of the most powerful depictions of the Christian world - is extant.
Since the painting is not mentioned in the accounts of St Nicholas' church from 1465-1520, it is presumed that it was donated to the church by a wealthy individual or a guild.