Börsi Passage belonged to the Great Guild of merchants in Tallinn from 1406. In 1551, an arched gate building was built at the Pikk Street end of Börsi Passage, which included the tax chamber of the Great Guild. A small house was at the other end of the passage for newlyweds to spend their wedding night. The Börsi Passage was opened for pedestrians in the 19th century. The street was named after the Stock Exchange Committee that operated in the Great Guild Hall.
Börsi Passage was tidied up in 2011 and an outdoor exhibition "The Passage of History" was put on. Important dates and events are marked on the sidewalk, giving visitors a quick overview of the history of Estonia.