Home > Church Architecture Tour

Church Architecture Tour

1. St. Olav’s Church tower 2. Niguliste Museum 3. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral 4. The Cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin in Tallinn 5. Kaarli Church 6. Estonian Methodist Church 7. Nõva Church 8. Rooslepa Chapel and Cemetery 9. Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle 10. Pühalepa Church 11. Reigi church 12. Emmaste Church 13. Karja Catherine Church 14. Kuressaare Episcopal Castle 15. Saint Martin's Church in Valjala 16. St. Mary's Church in Pöide 17. Muhu St Catherine’s Church 18. Eliisabet's Church 19. Türi Püha Martini kirik (St. Martin’s Church in Türi) 20. Rapla Maarja-Magdaleena Church 21. St. Birgitta’s Convent Ruins

  • 5 days
  • 21 sites

Wooden churches, stone churches, two-towered churches, old and new churches - this tour gives you the possibility to see them all. It also takes you to beautiful Estonian islands, the best spa resort towns and beaches in Estonia so besides churches there is plenty more to see and enjoy.

Route map

Sites along route

St. Olav’s Church tower

Attraction

The gothic steeple of this church, which was completed in the early 16th century, once made the church one of the tallest buildings in the world (soaring to 159 metres, according to certain sources…

Locate on map

Niguliste Museum

Attraction

St. Nicholas Church that was built in the 13th century is dedicated to church art. Here you will find medieval gravestones, unique altars and Tallinn’s most famous work of art: a fragment of Bernt…

Locate on map

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

Attraction

The large and richly decorated Russian Orthodox church, designed in a mixed historicist style, was completed on Toompea Hill in 1900, when Estonia was part of the Czarist Empire. The well-maintained…

Locate on map

The Cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin in Tallinn

Attraction

The Cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin in Tallinn (also known as the Dome Church) was first mentioned in records in 1233. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary seven years later. Worthy of attention…

Locate on map View related routes

Kaarli Church

Attraction

Kaarli Church is decorated with worth to see altar paintings by J. Köleri and S. Kügelgen. From 1924 the biggest organ in Estonia is situated in Kaarli Church. You can take part in services that are…

Locate on map

Estonian Methodist Church

Attraction

The Estonian Methodist Church is Estonia’s largest modern sacral building, which was designed by Vilen Künnapu and Ain Padrik, with the interior design executed by Katrin and Argo Vaikla. The church…

Locate on map

Nõva Church

Attraction

Olev’s Church in Nõva originating from the 18th century is a cosy wooden beach-chapel-style church. The unique parchment images on its windows look like real stained glass at first glance. It is one…

Locate on map View related routes

Rooslepa Chapel and Cemetery

Attraction

The ruins of Rooslepa chapel originate from the 17th century. It was originally built as a wooden chapel. The present stone chapel was built in 1834. The chapel fell apart after World War II, but the…

Locate on map View related routes

Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle

Attraction

The Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle and Cathedral, which was established in the 13th century as the centre of the Saare-Lääne Diocese, is one of the best preserved castles in Estonia. Visit the museum…

Locate on map View related routes

Pühalepa Church

Attraction

The Pühalepa Church is Hiiumaa’s oldest stone church. In 1255, the German Order started the construction of a stone fortress-church. Initially lacking a steeple, the arched stone church was completed…

Locate on map

Reigi church

Attraction

Reigi did not become an independent parish until 1627. Baron O. R. L. von Ungern-Sternberg had its stone church - which is dedicated to Jesus - built in memory of his son Gustav, who had taken his…

Locate on map

Emmaste Church

Attraction

Construction of this stone church started in 1866, after the Sõru wooden church near the Emmaste Manor became usable. The land for the new church was presented to the congregation by the lady of the…

Locate on map

Karja Catherine Church

Attraction

Karja church was built in the beginning of 14th century. The church has retained almost unchanged its initial shape. The church is one-naved and doesn't have bell tower. On top of the altar are…

Locate on map View related routes

Kuressaare Episcopal Castle

Attraction

Kuressaare Episcopal Castle, also known as Kuressaare Castle, was built in the 14th century. Today, the Castle houses Saaremaa Museum with its permanent exhibition and sundry temporary exhibitions…

Locate on map View related routes

Saint Martin's Church in Valjala

Attraction

The construction of Valjala Church was started in 1227. The oldest part of the church is the choir room to which the nave was later added. At Valjala Church you can see a Romanesque baptismal font…

Locate on map

St. Mary's Church in Pöide

Attraction

The Pöide Church was built in the middle of the 14th century on the ruins of the Pöide Order Castle. The existence of the castle is witnessed by the ruins lying under ground north of the church…

Locate on map

Muhu St Catherine’s Church

Attraction

Muhu Church has been mentioned in chronicles since 1267. The church is a beautiful building in early Gothic style. The interior of Muhu Church boasts high ceilings with high domical arches and cross…

Locate on map

Eliisabet's Church

Attraction

Eliisabet's Church, inaugurated in 1750, is the most outstanding sacral building of the Baroque period in Estonia. The beautiful church in the centre of Pärnu invites you to step in and look around…

Locate on map

Türi Püha Martini kirik (St. Martin’s Church in Türi)

Attraction

The three-naved medieval church of Türi was built in the 13th century. The interior of the church is embellished with a pulpit dating back to 1630 and an altar by Christian Ackermann, constructed in…

Locate on map

Rapla Maarja-Magdaleena Church

Attraction

This Rapla church is the only rural church with two towers in Estonia. The New Roman style building that was consecrated in 1901 was designed by Baltic German architect Rudolf von Engelhardt, and is…

Locate on map

St. Birgitta’s Convent Ruins

Attraction

The history of the ruins rising above the banks of the Pirita River date back to 1407, when the largest nunnery in Old Livonia was founded here. The convent that got its name from St. Birgitta that…

Locate on map View related routes