A holiday for your health.

Home > Church of St Catherine in Võru

Church of St Catherine in Võru

Address: Lembitu tn 1A, Võru | Show on map
Website: http://www.visitvoru.ee/ External link
E-mail: voru@visitestonia.com

Construction of the Church of St Catherine in Võru commenced in 1793 during the reign of Empress Catherine II. It is thought to have been designed by the Livonian architect Schons, while the man responsible for the building of the church was Võru's own Johann Karl Otto. The church was surrounded with a formidable fence. It is famous for its cross-shaped floor plan, substantial bell tower, high dome-like secondary tower and arched windows. Designed in classicist style, it was completed in 1804 in honour of St Catherine. The grounds around the church were restored in 2008 and are now home to an open air exhibition of religious text-themed illustrations by artist Marje Ernits.

Times and prices

Is open 24 hours

Free of charge.

Features

  • Exhibition
  • Information boards
  • Site lighting
  • Free parking

Meals

Seminar and conference rooms

Linked entries