Historical buildings • Tartu • More details
|Address:||Raekoja plats 1A, Tartu| Show on map|
|Telephone:||(+372) 744 2111|
The Town Hall of Tartu was built in early classicist style with strong baroque features (1789, designed by JHB Walter) and is one of the most important symbols of the city. A prison and a weigh house were located on the ground floor of the Town Hall and the city government worked on the upper floors. The Tartu City Government still works in the Town Hall and the ground floor is used by Tartu Visitor Centre and pharmacy.
Come listen to the chiming clocks in the tower of the Town Hall every day at noon, 6 pm and 9 pm.
Source: By Ivar Leidus – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tartu_Raekoda_2012.jpg, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24749461