Historical buildings • Kuressaare • More details
|Address:||Tallinna tänav, Kuressaare| Show on map|
The idea of Kuressaare Weighhouse comes from Swedish statesman Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie who ruled Saaremaa in 1648-1654. The building was finished in 1663, it is a baroque style building decorated with hewed volutes in apex of scaled gable. The smithed wind flag on top of the gable dates 1664.
Interesting to know: Weighhouse was used for weighing the goods. Until the end of 19th century the post office or horse post station situated in Weighhouse. In 1906 in Weighhouse situated the first Saaremaa private phone network switching exchange.