Museums & Galleries • Kärdla • More details
|Address:||Vabrikuväljak tn 8, Kärdla| Show on map|
|Telephone:||(+372) 463 2091|
Since 1998, Hiiumaa Museum is located in the old residence of the directors of the former Kärdla Broadcloth Factory, popularly known as the Long House. The house was constructed in the 1830s and 40s; over 60 m long, it is the longest wooden house in Kärdla.
The Long House houses workrooms and offices, depositories, a library and exhibition halls. In addition to the history of the development of the factory, the permanent exhibition also depicts the everyday life of the German owners of the factory as well as its employees; there is also a remarkable model of the factory on display. Beginning from 2014, the exhibition is graced by the life-size statues of the old Baron of Kärdla Robert Eginhard von Ungern-Sternberg (1813–1898) and his wife.