Historical buildings • Pärnu • More details
|Address:||Kuninga tänav 1, Pärnu| Show on map|
Tallinn gate is the only surviving 17th century gate with an embankment in the Baltic Countries; until 1710, it was known as Carl Gustav (the King's) Gate. From the gate, a bridge led across the trench to a postal road to Tallinn. The author of the gate is probably Erik Dahlberg; he constructed similar King's Gates and bastions in Narva and Riga as well.
During the teardown of the fortification in the 19th century, only the Tallinn Gate was preserved, as well as the embankments and the trench that leads to the Venus Bastion at the riverside – the so called Vallikäär.
Today, visitors are welcome to walk through the monumental Baroque gate and marvel at the beautiful beach district of Pärnu!
During summers, a café with a terrace is open here.