Churches • Kanepi vald • More details
|Address:||August Weizenbergi tänav 2, Kanepi alevik, Kanepi vald, Põlva maakond| Show on map|
|Mobile phone:||(+372) 501 8593|
|Telephone:||(+372) 797 7643|
St John’s Church is an eye-catching building; its architect was Friedrich Siegel. There is an altar painting Christ on the Cross (A. Bauer, 1857) and a pseudo-Gothic altar, and two nationally protected wooden candlesticks (1810) and an armchair from the birch wood dating from the 18th century. On top of the spire there is a morning star.
Interesting to know: St John’s Church in Kanepi was built in 1804-1810 to replace the old wooden church. In 1831 the church was set on fire by lightning. The church in Kanepi has been in its current state since the year 1877.