Memorials and monuments • Kärdla • More details
|Address:||Vabrikuväljak tn 4, Kärdla| Show on map|
|Telephone:||(+372) 462 2232|
In 1830 brothers Konstantin and Eduard von Ungern-Sternberg brought the woollen textile factory from Suuremõisa over to Kärdla. The factory that definitively influenced the development of Kärdla and the whole of Hiiumaa grew very fast. In 1830 there were 210 employees, in 1880 already 770. With its 2000 citizens Kärdla became a considerable centre of its time. In October 1941 the factory was destroyed but the houses of workers and the house of the baron (Long House) have survived. In 1982 a monument for the Kärdla woollen textile factory was erected; the figure, placed on a granite base and cut hollow, symbolizes a loom.