In the 18th century it became a Russian naval base and the Russians renamed it as Балтийский Порт ("Baltiyskiy Port", a “Baltic Port”). The Estonian pronunciation, Paldiski, became the town’s official name in 1933

In 1962, Paldiski became a Soviet Navy nuclear submarine training centre. With two land-based nuclear reactors and employing some 16,000 people, it was the largest such facility in the Soviet Union. Because of its importance, the whole city was closed off with barbed wire until the last Russian warship left in August 1994.

Pakri peninsula is famous for its spectacular limestone cliffs and nearby family-friendly beaches. It has Estonia’s highest lighthouse and is also home to rare black guillemots, which look like little penguins. It is also appealing to people interested in nature and bird watching.

Paldiski is just under 50km from Tallinn and easily accessible.

Nearby attractions include Noarootsi and Nõva.