Jakob Hurst was the first Estonian pastor who worked in Otepää from 1872 to 1880. Hurt was one of the greats of the Estonian national movement and as a folk poetry and language researcher, he owned one of the largest collections of folklore in Europe. The room depicts the life and work of Jakob Hurt.
A bar relief of Jakob Hurt was opened by Archbishop Kuno Pajula in Otepää Church to commemorate 150 years from his birth. The Estonian Flag Room and the Otepää Ski Museum are also located in the rectory. Jakob Hurt’s Room is open at the same time as the Otepää Ski Museum and can be visited at other times by appointment.