Käina church ruins
|Address:||Hiiu maantee, Käina alevik, Käina vald, Hiiu maakond | Show on map|
The ruins are located in the heart of the locality Käina. The church was built at the turn of the 15th - 16th century. The Gothic church in Käina seated 600 persons and was the biggest church on Hiiumaa. The church was destroyed in 1941. Several tombstones as well as the sun cross above the entrance are protected as art monuments. A fire in the church destroyed many art treasures: the altar of the Virgin Mary, Saint Nicholas and Saint Antonio, the organ built by the father of the Estonian composer Rudolf Tobias etc. The church also served as the parish centre for many centuries. The ruins have now been conserved, the restoration of the church is planned. The trees that surround the church form a nice park, as the locals call it.
Times and prices
Free of charge.