|Address:||Koluvere mõisa park, Koluvere küla, Kullamaa vald, Lääne maakond | Show on map|
|Method of payment:||Cash|
This water fortress was established in the 13th century by the bishop’s vassal Lode. The tower fortress, convention hall and cannon tower were built later. This place has been a battlefield both during St. George’s Night uprising as well as during the Livonian war. In 1439 it became one of residences of Saare-Lääne bishop. In the 17th century the fortress was turned into a manor ensemble. In 1771 the empress of Russia – Catherine II – bought it and gave it to her lover – Prince Grigori Orlov. From that time and until 1917 the castle was used by the Russian czar’s family. Later on the building has been used as a boys’ educational establishment and as a nursing home.
At present the castle is in private ownership and being renovated..
Take a look at the aerial panorama (picture by Joel Tammet).
Times and prices
Is open advance bookings only
- Information boards
- Recreation area/picnic ground
- Free parking