The congregation of the Luhamaa Church of the Holy Spirit was founded at the request of the people. The Metropolitan gave his blessing for the founding of a new congregation and the locals enthusiastically set to work. Money had to be collected to finance the construction of an Apostolic-Orthodox church. Since more money and building materials were donated than expected with the support of good people, other congregations, associations, organisations and the Government of Estonia, it was decided that a proper church would be built. As the result of the great efforts of many, the Luhamaa Church was erected at the side of the old Riga-Pihkva stone road and was consecrated by Metropolitan Aleksandr on 26 June 1932.