Main building of the University of Tartu
|Address:||Ülikooli tn 18, Tartu | Show on map|
|Telephone:||(+372) 737 5100|
There is no question that the main building of the University of Tartu is one of the pearls of the city – it is one of the most outstanding examples of classicistic architecture in Estonia built from 1804 to 1809 according to the design created by architect Johann Wilhelm Krause. The opening ceremony of the building was held on 3 July 1809. All important events in the life of the university have been celebrated in its main hall since then. The good acoustics and spaciousness of the hall have made it a popular venue for concerts and conferences. You can visit the main hall and the former lock-up room on the attic floor of the building, both of which are considered to be pearls of classicistic architecture in Estonia, through the History Museum of the University of Tartu.
Times and prices
Is open every day: 08:00 - 20:00
Free of charge.
- Information boards
- Information point
- Site lighting
- Paid parking