The memorial monument to the soldiers perished during the War of Independence was erected in 1931 and represents a wounded Estonian soldier. The monument was designed by sculptor Martin Saksa. The monument was blown up during a night in August 1948 and soldiers took the bronze statue to a place near Nursi. This was accidentally witnessed by Anna Avara from Võru who rescued the statue with August Soe and Rudolf Palu, farmers from the village of Lauri. In the dark of the night they took the statue by horse to the edge of the forest in Lauri and hid it in the bottom of an old potato cave. Decades passed, but the statue was found on 8 July 1988, when the men from Rõuge, who were searching for their own monument, accidentally dug out the bronze statue of Vastseliina.