Nature Holiday in Estonia

Home > Ruins of the Vana-Vastseliina Castle

Ruins of the Vana-Vastseliina Castle

Address: Vana-Vastseliina küla, Vastseliina vald, Võru maakond | Show on map
Mobile phone: (+372) 509 6301
Telephone: (+372) 533 05089
Fax: (+372) 785 1138
Website: http://www.vastseliina.ee/linnus External link
E-mail: linnus@vastseliina.ee
Method of payment: Cash
Request info

The Episcopal castle dating back to the 14th century was established by the Bishop of Tartu and Grandmaster of Livonia and thanks to many renovations and extensions it developed into a strong border fortress. The landlords of the castle came from many different countries. The castle met its end during the Great Northern War when it was demolished by Russian troops (1702). In the Middle Ages, Vastseliina Castle was well known in the Catholic world as a popular destination for pilgrims. They worshipped the holy cross in the castle chapel and a visit to the chapel gave them sanctification for 40 days – it was first validated by Pope Innocentius VI in 1354.

Times and prices

01.01–31.12

Is open 24 hours

Free of charge.

01.06–31.08

Is open 24 hours

Adult: from 1 €
Pensioner: from 1 €
University student: from 1 €
School student: from 1 €

01.09–31.05

Is open 24 hours

Free of charge.

Exact price to be clarified by service provider.

Languages spoken

  • Estonian
  • English
  • Russian

Features

  • Information boards
  • Information point
  • Visitor centre
  • Souvenirs
  • Recreation area/picnic ground
  • Hiking trails
  • Viewing platform
  • Camping area
  • Playground
  • Toilet
  • Drop Toilet
  • Free parking

Additional services

  • Guide service available
  • Themed events
  • Workshops

Meals

Seminar and conference rooms

Linked entries