Active Holiday in Estonia

Home > Ruins of the Vastseliina Episcopal Castle

Ruins of the Vastseliina Episcopal Castle

Address: Vana-Vastseliina küla, Vastseliina vald, Võru maakond | Show on map
Mobile phone: (+372) 509 6301
Telephone: (+372) 533 05089
Fax: (+372) 785 1138
Website: http://www.vastseliina.ee/linnus/index.php?lang… External link
E-mail: linnus@vastseliina.ee
Method of payment: Card payment, Cash
Request info

Vastseliina Episcopal Castle was built in 1342 on the lands of the Bishop of Tartu and it became one of the most powerful fortifications in old Livonia; it is also one of the 21 places in Southern Estonia worth discovering which are marked by a yellow National Geographic window. 

During the Middle Ages, the castle was well-known for the holy cross in its chapel and as a popular destination for pilgrims; a visit gave them indulgence for 1 year and 40 days as decreed by pope Innocent VI. The castle was destroyed in the Great Northern War by the armies of Peter the Great.

Today, you can visit the castle tower, light a candle in the sacred place and enjoy night concerts on the territory of the castle.

Times and prices

01.06–31.08

Is open 24 hours

Adult: from 1 €
Pensioner: from 1 €
University student: from 1 €
School student: from 1 €
Grupi hind: from 1 €

01.09–01.05

Is open 24 hours

Free of charge.

Exact price to be clarified by service provider.

Languages spoken

  • Estonian
  • English
  • Russian

Features

  • Activities for children
  • Information boards
  • Visitor centre
  • Recreation area/picnic ground
  • Hiking trails
  • Viewing platform
  • Playground
  • Drop Toilet
  • Free parking
  • Art and gift shop

Additional services

  • Guide service available
  • Themed events
  • Workshops
  • Meals
  • Seminar

Meals

Seminar and conference rooms

Linked entries