The stone castle started to appear on the place of the former Estonian stronghold in 1224. The fortress got its final shape and size in the beginning of the 16th century and was one of the distinguished fortresses in Estonia and Latvia. Due to wars between Sweden, Poland and Russia all that is left from the entire order castle today are just a few stone walls.
Already in the beginning of the last century the ruins of the fortress and the park around it turned into a recreational area for the residents of Viljandi. In order to access the castle hills from town a rope bridge was build from the Kaeuvumägi hill over the 13 meters deep trench in 1931. From the ruins you have the most beautiful view over the lake of Viljandi.
Green park with tons of trails. The atmospheric ruins and views of the lake and forest only add to the enjoyment. A really special place.
Not much remains of the old castle, but it is well documented along the trail, and the view is terrific. It doesn't take very long to walk the trail, so there is really no reason not to check it out...
The castle is a delight to wander through and is a highlight of this lovely country town. The river views are lovely too.