Source: Peeter Lina
The horns of ancient cattle, animal bones and other objects found in the lake by Ida Kepnik and Richard Indreko indicated that a stone age settlement was once located here. In 1958, horns together with parts of the skull, ceramics and numerous other objects were found in the course of deepening the Võhandu River and bridge construction. In the summer of 1959, a joint expedition by the Institute of History and the Valga Interregional Local History Museum identified the exact location of the settlement. Using the radiometric dating method, it is estimated that the Tamula settlement is 4500 years old.
The connection to Roosisaare peninsula was improved in 1998 when a new suspension bridge was opened for pedestrians. There is a great view of Lake Tamula and the town of Võru from the bridge.