The church devoted to John the Baptist was erected in the 17thC upon the ruins of a Franciscan abbey. The church was destroyed several times in various wars and then invariably rebuilt. Still functioning after the Second World War, it was closed in 1950 and turned into a warehouse.
It was consecrated again in 1992 and is now often used as a concert venue. Interesting to know: *This place of worship contains the communion table by Aivar Oja and stained-glass windows by Renee Aua. *Wall carpets have been made by the local textile artist Prof. Anu Raud, whose work "Mother Tree” is displayed in the UN's main building in New York.
Excellent atmosphere and energy. The walls are very sparsely decorated of course. Nice bells. Good concerts.
it has a lovely exterior, and interior. it is located near the castle ruins and suits there. good for sightseeing
Reported to be the oldest surviving church in Estonia on the site of a former abbey and close to the ruins of Viljandi Order Castle. The church was destroyed several times in the numerous conflicts...