Tall Hermann tower
|Address:||Lossi plats 1A, Tallinn | Show on map|
Tall Hermann is the defensive tower that stands at the south-western corner of Toompea Castle in Tallinn. It is thought to have been built in 1371. It obtained its current height (45.6 m) and shape in the late 15th century. Over the centuries there have been up to eight floors in the tower, with a narrow stone staircase of 215 steps leading to the top.
At the top of the tower, 95 metres above sea level, flies the flag that symbolises the ruling power in Estonia. The blue, black and white of the national flag was first seen here on 12 December 1918, and was restored to its place for the first time since Soviet occupation on 24 February 1989.
Times and prices
Is open 24 hours
Free of charge.