TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition

27. September 2013

On 16 November, ‘TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition’ will be opened in Tallinn Seaplane Harbour Hangars

The sinking of Titanic is without doubt the best-known peacetime maritime disaster, which cost more than 1500 human lives. Now, 101 years later, the Estonian Maritime Museum will bring the story of Titanic in all its humanness and tragic to the Seaplane Harbour, where ‘TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition’ will be opened on 16 November 2013.

The exhibition will feature more than 200 original items salvaged from the bottom of the ocean around the wreck of Titanic at the depth of approximately 4 kilometres. The reconstructions of a number of the Ship’s rooms will take us back to the year 1912, when faith in technical progress was virtually unwavering and Titanic, the world’s biggest and most luxurious passenger Ship of her time, seemed to embody the almightiness of humankind.

TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition will be an opportunity for the visitors to feel themselves to be passengers on board of Titanic. They will receive a copy of a boarding pass of Titanic bearing the name of a one-time real ticket owner, to be followed by a voyage with the Ship and her passengers. The visitors will walk through a first-class corridor, take peeks into cabins of different classes, admire the famous Grand Staircase and feel the chill of a real ice wall.

The 10 exhibition rooms will describe the process of building the Ship and her exceptionality, life of passengers on board, their thoughts and dreams, the tragic collision and the consequences of the disaster. The last rooms will describe the development of Titanic’s story after the disaster, the discovery of the wreck in 1985 and the extremely complicated expeditions to the bottom of the ocean.

The exhibition of Titanic, which, among its kind, will be of a volume unprecedented in Northern Europe, will be brought to Estonia in cooperation with Premier Exhibitions Inc., an exhibition provider from the United States. It will occupy nearly one third of the Seaplane Harbour Hangars and will be open from 16 November 2013 to 31 March 2014.

Further information:

Urmas Dresen, Director
Estonian Maritime Museum
Telephone: +372 51 31 622

Email: urmas@meremuuseum.ee