Vastseliina Castle was built in 1342. The Swedish Army gave the order to build another church outside the walls of the castle as an addition to the Vastseliina Castle Chapel. The new church was consecrated as St. Catherine's Church. The church was destroyed together with the Vastseliina Castle by Russian cannon fire. Another church was built, and construction began on a stone church. Von Liphardt donated an organ made by Kessler and an alter painting by Baron Maydell to the church. Vastseliina Church was reconstructed according to the plans of the architect Pohlmann. In 1911 the church obtained a new organ built by the brothers Kriisa. Church service is held on Sunday.