1. Weigh the flour, sugar, baking powder, water, egg and honey into a bowl. Whisk the components into an even mass. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and leave to set for 30 minutes.
2. Drain sprats from oil.
3. Pour the oil into a saucepan and heat to 180 ºC. Test the temperature of the oil by dripping the batter into the oil: if the batter starts to cook and rises to the surface, then the oil is ready for frying. Don't overheat the oil – make sure it doesn't smoke.
4. Dip the sprats into the batter one by one, making sure they are evenly coated. Fry them in oil until golden brown.
5. Place the dill and mayonnaise in a bowl and blend evenly with a hand blender.
6. Serve on a platter or a plate with the dill mayonnaise.
Photo by: Johannes Hõimoja