Pärnu maantee 5, Kesklinna linnaosa, Tallinn
The building of Estonian Drama Theatre is the oldest theatre in Estonia (1910) that has been preserved in its original form. The Nordic Art Nouveau building was designed by architects Nikolai Vassilyev and Aleksei Bubyr from St. Petersburg, whose work was awarded the first prize at the largest international architectural competition of the beginning of the 20th century.
The Estonian Drama Theatre has been operating in the attractive German theatre building located in the centre of Tallinn since 1924 when Draamastuudio Teater was founded by the first graduating class of Estonia’s first theatre school; in 1937, it was renamed the Estonian Drama Theatre. Although the name does not indicate that it is the national theatre, the Drama Theatre has served in this capacity for a long time. The theatre has always specialized in productions of classic plays from world literature and contemporary drama from different countries.
The National Registry of Cultural Monuments.
Observed from distance