Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve Monument

Uppsala tänav, Tartu linn, Tartu

View on map

Opened in 1969, the Struve Monument is dedicated to the former director of the Tartu Observatory, Fr. G. W. Struve (15 April 1793 – 23 November 1864), a Russian astronomer and geodesist of German origin. Under his leadership, the meridian arc was measured between 1816 and 1855 to determine the shape and size of the globe.

The monument is an abstract work, inspired by the spirit of its era, reflecting the pursuit of the human race into space. The lower part of the sculpture is a sundial and the upper part is an hourglass. The authors of the monument are Olav Männi and Udo Ivask.
The Struve street and the geodetic arc are also dedicated to him in Tartu.

Times and prices
Open all year round

24 hours

Features and amenities
  • Wheelchair access

Getting there

The monument is located in front of the Tartu Observatory on Toomemägi Hill.

Access
  • On foot only
Coordinates
View on map
Reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
eilasep

eilasep

Worth a visit

This Unesco World Heritage site has plenty to offer both inside the observatory of Tartu and outside having lots of attractions.

2017Helen

2017Helen

Walking tour

This is well worth a visit especially at night in the winter as the xmas light around the area give a beautiful view.

LMOverby

LMOverby

worth a stop

A tribute to one of the leading lights in 19th century astronomy and a major contributor toward accurate surveying, the Struve Monument is worth stopping to see while you're exploring the Tartu...

Tutvu pakkuja teiste pakkumistega
Places nearby
View on map
Spaflix Estonia Spaflix Estonia