Kallaste Old Believers Prayer House of the Estonian Association of Old Believers Congregations

Kiriku tänav 14, Kallaste

View on map

You will find the wooden prayer house of the Old Believers in the little town of Kallaste near Lake Peipus, which, according to archival data, was built in the Krasnye Gory (Kallaste) Village in 1802.
The leaders of Old Believers’ congregations used to meet here for congresses from the 1920s to 1940s. This tradition has now been restored.

Interesting to know:
- the Kallaste Old Believers Prayer House was sealed in the course of tsarist repression in 1837;
- the Old Believers congregation in Kallaste belongs to the Pomorian wing of the faith.

Times and prices
Open all year round

Is open advance bookings only

Getting there

The church is located a 43-minute drive from Tartu, in Kallaste. When coming from Tartu, drive towards Kallaste along the Aovere-Kallaste-Omedu road.

Access
  • Signposted
  • By public transport
  • By car
Coordinates
View on map
Places nearby
View on map
Newsletter Newsletter