Karksi valley is one of the most beautiful and famous places in Viljandimaa. Driving down along serpentine road over impounded lake Karksi appears Karksi fortress hill or bastion hill. It is believed that on the well protected by nature abrupt-sloped hill before knights conquests situated the fortress of Estonians. Interesting to know:
Order fortress construction started in the 2nd half of 13th century, stone structures date back to 14th and 15th centuries.
In the 1770-s in the ruins was built St.Peters Church in baroque style.
North from the church is situated sepulchral chapel of field marshal Lieven, that was built in 1730.