Kiipsaare lighthouse was completed in 1933 and is 26 metres high. Initially, the lighthouse was constructed about 100 m from the coast. However, due to changes in the shoreline, it now stands in seawater.
Because of strong storms and waves, the lighthouse that is standing on a steep coast became tilted years ago. Therefore, the lighthouse received the nickname Saaremaa's Leaning Tower of Pisa. However, strong gusts of wind and waves pushed the lighthouse into a more upright position later on.
Good to know:
As the lighthouse is located on the territory of Vilsandi National Park, it can only be reached on foot. The distance from the car park to the lighthouse is about 4 km, and the lighthouse can only be viewed from the outside.