The mill was constructed in 1899 on the location of the Kuressaare First Apostolic Orthodox Church. The windmill was operational until 1941. After the war, it was used as a storage and the living quarters of the miller were used as a flat.
In order to improve catering options in Kuressaare, the mill was rebuilt into a café. During the renovations, an effort was made to preserve the original structures of the Dutch stone windmill.
In 1974, Café Veski was opened for visitors. Immediately after opening, the café became one of the most popularplaces in town, and today, it is the oldest working catering business in Kuressaare.