Mole of Pärnu

Pärnu has always been an important harbour. To prevent sand build-up in the mouth of the river, moles made of logs were built there in 1769, as ordered by Empress Catherine II. From 1863 to 1864, new moles were built of rocks that were transported there from the beaches of Häädemeeste and Kihnu. The length of both moles was just over two kilometres. The mole on the left bank of the river has become the symbol of Pärnu.

The mole has gained a romantic reputation as a place for lovers to walk on; however, before taking a walk there, be sure to check the water level! At times, the mole can be left completely under water, but when the water level is low, you can even see the ends of the wooden poles of the previous mole.

Pärnu has always been an important harbour. To prevent sand build-up in the mouth of the river, moles made of logs were built there in 1769, as ordered by Empress Catherine II. From 1863 to 1864, new moles were built of rocks that were transported

Features and amenities