public.homepage.logo
public.entry.region.yldine_piirkond_louna

South Estonia

Monument of Nations

The Monument of Nation is the oldest monument in Tartu. The bones buried under the floor and in the cemetery of St Mary’s Church were found when the main building of the University of Tartu was built on the former site of the church. In 1806 they were reburied in Toomeorg near Vallikraavi Street and the small square Monument to People, which was created according to the drawings of J W Krause and resembles the tomb monuments of Asia Minor (Lykia), was erected there in 1811. The human bones found in the course of archaeological work in the cellars of the main building of the University of Tartu were buried by the monument’s side that faces street on 20 September 1985. A case with information was also buried in the grave.

public.entry.region.yldine_piirkond_louna

South Estonia

Opening times

All year round

Round the clock

Location

K. E. von Baeri tn 19, Tartu linn, Tartu linn, Tartu maakond