1. Peel and chop the pumpkin into pieces. Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with oil, honey, thyme, salt and grated nutmeg. Cut the garlic cloves in half and add them also.
2. Roast in the oven at 180 ºC for about 30 minutes or until soft. Let the pumpkin cool and remove the thyme and garlic.
3. Mix the oil dressing: add all of the components together and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
4. Soften the sauerkraut by crushing and kneading between your fingers or pounding with a fist.
5. Chop the green onion, peel the pomegranate, wash the apple and chop into 5 mm cubes.
6. To serve: mix together the cooled down roasted pumpkin, pearl barley, chopped green onion, sauerkraut, pomegranate and oil dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Photos by: Johannes Hõimoja