1. Peel the potatoes. Wash the pearl barley in cold water, while moving it around with your hands.
2. Put the potatoes and washed pearl barley into a pot. Cover with water. Make sure you have 3 cm of water on top. Add salt and boil on medium heat for about an hour until the pearl barley is soft.
3. Check from time to time that there is still enough water and add more if needed. When the potatoes and pearl barley are soft, there should be more than 1 cm of extra water left on top.
4. Add the butter cubes and mash the potatoes and pearl barley into an even porridge. Season with salt if necessary.
5. Chop the smoked pork into 5 mm x 1 mm pieces. Peel and chop the onion. Fry the onion in a preheated pan until translucent. Add the smoked meat and continue frying until the meat is golden brown. Add chopped fresh herbs.
6. Peel and chop the onion. Fry the onion in a preheated pan until it turns translucent. Add the mushrooms and fry until golden. Add chopped fresh herbs.
You can use boiled, salted or fresh mushrooms. Wash salted mushrooms under cold running water and leave to soak in water for a couple of hours, occasionally changing the water. Washing might be enough for less salty mushrooms.
7. Serve the potato and groat porridge with fried smoked meat and mushrooms.
Photos by: Johannes Hõimoja