Pepleri tänav 1, Tartu linn, Tartu
St. Mary’s Church in Tartu was built in 1842 to be the church of city of Tartu and the Estonians in the parish.
A. H Willigerode, the organiser of the song festival and a writer, and A. E. Vooremaa, who died as a martyr, worked here. Köster J. Kurrik compiled the first physical education textbook in Estonian. Members included, for example, M. Härma, L. Koidula, and J. V. Jannsen.
In 1869, the first Estonian song festival began in St. Mary's Church in Tartu, which is why it is also called the cradle of the song festival.
There was a fire which destroyed the church on 12 June 1941, after which the Estonian Academy of Agriculture used it as a gym. The church was used as a gym for almost 50 years and it has been called the shelter for sports in Tartu.
The church is being restored.
The church is in the centre of Tartu, on the crossing of Pepleri, Vallikraavi, and Kuperjanovi streets.