The Town Hall of Tartu was built in early classicist style with strong baroque features (1789, designed by J. H. B. Walter) and is one of the most important symbols of the city. A prison and a weigh house were located on the ground floor of the Town Hall and the city government worked on the upper floors. The Tartu City Government still works in the Town Hall and the ground floor is used by Tartu Visitor Centre and pharmacy. The ground floor of the Town Hall is open for visitors.
Good to know: come listen to the chiming clocks in the tower of the Town Hall every day at 9 a.m., 12 p.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m., and 9 p.m.