1. Boil the potatoes and carrots until tender, leaving the skin on.
2. Place the beetroot (with the skin on) in the oven at 180 ºC for 1,5 hours. Check that it is cooked before removing from the oven.
3. Boil the eggs.
4. Peel the potatoes, carrots and beetroot. Grate all components with a coarse grater and place in separate bowls.
5. Finely chop the onion.
6. Clean the smoked eel or some other preferred smoked fish and crumble between your fingers.
7. Mix together sour cream and mayonnaise. Season with salt.
8. In a glass bowl, layer the ingredients for the dish: place the smoked eel in the bottom, add the grated potato and then the chopped onion. Then cover with half of the sauce. Add grated beetroot and then the grated carrot. Cover with the rest of the sauce. Decorate with finely grated egg.
Photos by: Johannes Hõimoja