SEMINARI VÄLJAK, Võru
The central square of Võru, dedicated to the centenary of the Republic of Estonia, is special for its urban furniture. The Estonian word for furniture, mööbel, comes from the Latin word mobilis – mobile. The central square is constantly changing, it has the face of an event – it can be a fairground, then a concert hall, and a magical Christmas wonderland in winter.
The central square is the historical heart of Võru, surrounded by the county government (1938), the Lutheran Catherine’s Church (1793), the upper secondary school building (the oldest building in the city, eighteenth century), the fire department (1900), the Apostolic Church of St Catherine (1804), and the bank (1938).
The renovated central square, designed by architect Villem Tomiste, was opened in 2019.