While touring in Estonia, members of the popular Latvian rock band Brainstorm meet the head chef of Estonian restaurant NOA. What follows is an afternoon filled with tastes from Estonia's fields, forests, rivers and the sea, cooked at the spot in the cosy old town apartment in Pärnu. Watch Estonia's top chef meets Brainstorm video to find out which tastes feel familiar to the neighbouring Latvian musicians and what is new and surprising about the Estonian modern kitchen.
Young potato & dill
- Take 10 potatoes and cut into equal squares.
- Meanwhile, melt 50 grams of butter on a pan and add fennel seeds and cumin.
- Layer the potatoes on a pan and add salt and pepper. Cover with 50 grams of cream cheese.
- If needed, add extra water to make sure the potato slices are covered.
- Add the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Then remove the cover.
- Add more fennel seeds and/ or cumin and cook on high heat until the water has evaporated.
- Lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with cream cheese, 80 grams of whitefish roe and fresh dill.
Egg spread with sprat
- Boil 15 eggs for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, mix the boiled egg yolks with 200 grams of soft butter and 70 grams of spiced sprat.
- Add salt, pepper, mustard and 50 grams of mayonnaise.
- Serve with soft rye bread.
Spotted dog - a popular 'old school' dessert
- Soak 60 grams of raisins in 70 grams of rum.
- Melt 200 grams of butter. Add 150 grams of condensed milk and 60 grams of cocoa powder to the mix.
- Crush 250 grams of digestive biscuits.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a thick dough. Shape the dough into a cake shape and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
Do you belong in the forests, fields or the sea?
Brainstorm singer Renārs Kaupers is Hiid, a powerful creature who feels most at home in Estonia's hills and valleys. Guitarist Jānis Jubalts is Metsik, a mysterious communicator roaming Estonian forests. Drummer Kaspars Roga and keyboard player Māris Mihelsons are both Ahti, and keep each other company in the depths of the calm sea surrounding Estonia.
To experience the many nature paths and flavours, take Estonian myth quiz and find out which Estonian mythological creature are you.