The first emergency navigation sign was a bright red tower that stood on the holm from the year 1836. Later a larger wooden tower was built to replace it. As it needed frequent repairs, a number of facilities were built in 1881, including the tower, the keeper’s house, a sauna and a fuel storage. This time the tower was made from boiler sheet metal and it was 10.5 meters tall. The tower consisted of two cylinders, joint by a winding staircase that also made the construction stronger.
The red lighthouse
Nowadays Viirelaid Lighthouse has a red lantern room and a cylindrical metal tower with a balcony, that has an automated light and control system that functions on solar and wind energy. Viirelaid Lighthouse is known to be the oldest metal lighthouse in Estonia.
Its current owners arrived on the empty islet four years ago and started to revive the local life. Although it is a lonely island, there are also 500 sheep here beside the humans in summers. Wild nature, wind-torn junipers, peace and quiet. This is the perfect island for those who seek solitude. However, those who need something more will also find plenty to do due to the local family.