|Address:||Lossi tn 1, Põltsamaa | Show on map|
|Mobile phone:||(+372) 522 2584|
Põltsamaa's stone fortress was constructed on the banks of the river in 1272. Between 1570 and 1578 it was the residence of Livonia's King Magnus. Repeatedly pillages, the castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw in the 18th century as a grand rococo-style palace. The castle, and the church built into its cannon tower, burnt down in 1941. The church was restored by 1952, and the castle ruins came under preservation during the 1970s.
Did you know...? - The forecourt of the castle hosts open air events - The round courtyard holds a tourist information point and the Põltsamaa Museum; a wine cellar with a food museum; the Estonian Press Museum; the pART Gallery; clay, handicraft and other workshops; and the castle's restaurant..
Take a look at the aerial panorama (picture by Joel Tammet).
Times and prices
Is open every day: 10:00 - 19:00
Free of charge.
- Information boards
- Information point
- Site lighting
- Recreation area/picnic ground
- Wheelchair accessible
- Drop Toilet
- Free parking
- Art and gift shop
- Guide service available
- Themed events