Crucifixion of Our Lord church, Jõhvi

The Crucifixion of Our Lord church in Jõhvi was completed in 1895 as part of the plan of Estonian governor Shakhovskoy to make Jõhvi the centre of the Russian Orthodox faith in the north-east of the country. The nearby Pühtitsa convent of the Dormition of the Mother of God, known to locals as the Kuremäe convent, was also founded by nuns who came to Jõhvi. Built in Historicist style from natural stone and red brick, the church is open to visitors every day in summer.
Did you know…? *The Crucifixion of Our Lord church in Jõhvi was the first place of work of the young Aleksei Mihhailovitš Ridiger – who would go on to become Aleksius II, patriarch of all Russia.

The Crucifixion of Our Lord church in Jõhvi was completed in 1895 as part of the plan of Estonian governor Shakhovskoy to make Jõhvi the centre of the Russian Orthodox faith in the north-east of the country. The nearby Pühtitsa convent of the Dormiti

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 10 reviews | Write a review
  • Nice place

    This orthodox church was built in 19-th century. Building is beautiful and designed in 19-th century architecture style. This church is good located (in the town centre). That is good place to visit...

  • Святое место

    Церковь относительно молодая (середина XIX века), но расположена в месте, которое исстари считалось священным. Сама церковь прекрасно выглядит, здание красного кирпича в стиле неоромантизма...

  • Одна из любимых церквей Алексий II

    Отличная церковь в центре Йыхви. Спокойная обстановка, а в будни дни малолюдная. Рекомендую к посещению место для верующих будет удивительным.


Features and amenities