Loone stronghold

VAHASTU METSKOND 73, Loone küla, Kohila vald, Rapla maakond

View on map

The Loone stronghold was constructed in ancient times on a natural hillock which was several metres high. It was protected on three sides by the Keila River.

According to the chronicles of Henry the Latvian, the village of Lohu (now Loone) was a place that marauding Crusaders often gathered between 1216 and 1223. The stronghold’s courtyard covered 6500 m², while the embankment around it was 300 metres long and up to 6 metres high in places.

This ancient place is perfect for picnics, and you can also go canoeing on the river.

Times and prices
Open all year round

24 hours

Features and amenities
Getting there

Loone stronghold is approximately 1.5 km south of Kohila on the road to Rapla.

Access
  • Signposted
  • Sealed access road
  • By excursion bus
  • By public transport
  • By car
Stops nearby
Bus: Lohu
Train: Lohu
Coordinates
View on map
Check out other services offered by this provider
Places nearby
View on map