Pärnu maantee 22a, Märjamaa alev, Märjamaa vald, Rapla maakond
Märjamaa Church boasting lofty walls was built in the 14thC as the mightiest fortress-church in western Estonia. Its main characteristics are asceticism, simplicity, utility and quality. Its exceptionally high and thick walls used to be capped with balustrades.
Märjamaa Church is the only fully preserved medieval church in Rapla County. Interesting to know: The church is approached by a memorial gate commemorating the Estonian War of Independence. The churchyard contains a Maltese stone cross dating from 1720 and bearing the inscription “Mu Poig”. In terms of interior proportions, the church is considered to be the finest of all Estonian county churches. At the times of the Livonian War, the shelter above the arches saved locals from the troops of the Russian ruler Ivan the Terrible.
The best way to get here is to come by coach to the Märjamaa coach station. The church is located on the opposite side.