Narva maantee, Tartu linn, Tartu
The memorial stone to the first Estonian song festival was unveiled on the 125th anniversary of the festival in 1994. It was designed by Mati Karmin.
Between the two millstones (czarist power and hard work and austerity), the heads are like grains that are being ground. They sing despite the pressure (Mati Karmin XL, 2019).
The first song festival was held in Tartu from 18–20 June 1869. It was opened in Toomeoru but mainly took place in the gardens of the Ressourc society opposite St Peter’s Church, which enjoyed beautiful views over the town and the Emajõgi River. The festival was attended by 46 choirs, involving almost 800 male singers and four brass bands. Almost 15,000 people attended the festival.
An 18-minute-walk from Tartu city centre. Walk up the Narva Hill. The monument is located in the immediate vicinity of St. John’s Church, at the corner of Puiestee and Narva maantee streets.