Noblessner, the new Kalamaja
The former submarine shipyard Noblessner where PROTO is located, is one of the fastest developing areas in Tallinn today. The name Noblessner was coined in the beginning of 20th century from the surnames of Europe’s foremost oil tycoon Emanuel Nobel and the owner of Lessner machine works Arthur Lessner. From the first meeting of the shareholders of the Noblessner shipyard on 8 January 1913, impressive limestone and concrete industrial buildings, including the Noblessner foundry, began to pop up on the site in Tallinn with astonishing speed.
A total of 12 submarines were built on site between 1913 and 1917. Although the production of submarines ceased as Estonia gained its independence in 1918, ship repair and construction continued in the Noblessner area until August 2018.